잠시만 기다려 주세요. 로딩중입니다.

Clinical Uses of Diffusion Tensor Imaging Fiber Tracking Merged Neuronavigation with Lesions Adjacent to Corticospinal Tract : A Retrospective Cohort Study

Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society 2020년 63권 2호 p.248 ~ 260
 ( Yu Qi ) - China Medical University Shengjing Hospital Department of Neurosurgery

 ( Lin Kun ) - China Medical University Shengjing Hospital Department of Radiology
 ( Liu Yunhui ) - China Medical University Shengjing Hospital Department of Neurosurgery
 ( Li Xinxing ) - China Medical University Shengjing Hospital Department of Neurosurgery

Abstract


Objective: To investigate the efficiency of diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) fiber-tracking based neuronavigation and assess its usefulness in the preoperative surgical planning, prognostic prediction, intraoperative course and outcome improvement.

Methods: Seventeen patients with cerebral masses adjacent to corticospinal tract (CST) were given standard magnetic resonance imaging and DTI examination. By incorporation of DTI data, the relation between tumor and adjacent white matter tracts was reconstructed and assessed in the neuronavigation system. Distance from tumor border to CST was measured.

Results: The sub-portion of CST in closest proximity to tumor was found displaced in all patients. The chief disruptive changes were classified as follows : complete interruption, partial interruption, or simple displacement. Partial interruption was evident in seven patients (41.2%) whose lesions were close to cortex. In the other 10 patients (58.8%), delineated CSTs were intact but distorted. No complete CST interruption was identified. Overall, the mean distance from resection border to CST was 6.12 mm (range, 0-21), as opposed to 8.18 mm (range, 2-21) with simple displacement and 2.33 mm (range, 0-5) with partial interruption. The clinical outcomes were analyzed in groups stratified by intervening distances (close, <5 mm; moderated, 5-10 mm; far, >10 mm). For the primary brain tumor patients, the proportion of completely resected tumors increased progressively from close to far grouping (42.9%, 50%, and 100%, respectively). Five patients out of seven (71.4%) experienced new neurologic deficits postoperatively in the close group. At meantime, motor deterioration was found in six cases in the close group. All patients in the far and moderate groups received excellent (modified Rankin Scale [mRS] score, 0-1) or good (mRS score, 2-3) rankings, but only 57.1% of patients in the close group earned good outcome scores.

Conclusion: DTI fiber tracking based neuronavigation has merit in assessing the relation between lesions and adjacent white matter tracts, allowing prediction of patient outcomes based on lesion-CST distance. It has also proven beneficial in formulating surgical strategies.

키워드

Magnetic resonance imaging; Diffusion tensor imaging; Tractography; Neuronavigation; Tumor
원문 및 링크아웃 정보
  
등재저널 정보